After months of testing, an amazing amount of work and a surprising amount of stress, the team competed with 4 other teams in the vegetarian category, served 18 gallons of chili to a few thousand guests, and won second place! Here's our recipe:
Yes VeGan Award Winning Vegetarian ChiliKey components from the following vendors:
18 lbs Chopped Onions
30 large carrots, chopped
6 c garlic, peeled and chopped/pressed
1.5 c canola oil
6 oz dry chipotles, rehydrated in warm water, chopped
4.5 cups Penzey’s Chili Con Carne Seasoning
1 cup ground cumin
1.5 cups Mexican oregano
1.5 cups unsweetened cocoa
6 #10 cans diced tomatoes and juice
6 #10 cans black beans
6 #10 cans red (kidney, pinto, or small red) beans; drained
1 #10 can corn kernels
12 bunches cilantro (do not chop until just before using)
Salt to taste (may not be needed at all)
- Heat oil in a pot, then brown the onions until light golden.
- Add carrots and cook until onions are a couple of shades darker and carrots are softened and have some color.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, stirring constantly.
- Add chipotles and spices, and cook until they’re fragrant, stirring constantly.
- Add cocoa
- Add beans, tomatoes, and stir well. Bring back to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer two hours minimum.
- At service, add lime juice and chopped cilantro to taste
- Garnish with a Tortilla chip
- Chipotles: Tierra Vegetables
- Spices: Penzey's
- Onions: Two Small Farms
Our pictures and videos are on Flickr and YouTube.
Post a Comment