Big, somewhat eclectic box this week. This is a great example of what it's like to get your produce from a CSA share.
The way it generally works for us is:
- Watch the "What's in the Box" list.
- Start thinking about what we'll do with the food.
- Pick up the box on Thursday.
- Plan a few meals in which to enjoy the harvest.
- Decide what else we need for the week.
- Head to the grocery store.
- Raw Peanuts
- Spring Garlic
- Gold Turnips
- Yellow and Purple Carrots
- Green Mustard
- Red Bearded Scallions
- Red Cabbage
Some of the remaining ingredients (raw peanuts, turnips, and mustard greens) remind me of the South, where I lived for nearly a decade. For these I'll take my inspiration from Bryant Terry's Vegan Soul Kitchen for Spicy Goobers and a batch of Roasted Turnips and Shallots with Turnip Green Soup. Our turnips came without the greens, so substituting mustard greens in their place.
The cabbage will replenish our sauerkraut supply and the cilantro (which came with its roots intact) will be replanted. The arugula from this week and last week will become Arugula Pesto. The kale will just have to wait...